In 1922, the heirs to the Pierce Arrow Motor Company–regarded as the “American Rolls-Royce”–tapped Santa Barbara architect and Spanish Colonial Revival specialist, George Washington Smith, to design this hedged two-acre estate, personified by architectural detailing and antiques that spared no expense. Ingleside arrived in Hollywood social circles as Ruth Hardy’s invitation-only hideaway, with Elizabeth Taylor, Marlon Brando, and Marilyn Monroe just a handful of fabled icons signing the register. Decades later, owner Mel Haber ushered in a 1970s renaissance, restoring and opening the Inn to the public, and adding Melyvn’s restaurant and lounge.
Deep in Old Palm Springs, the Birge family builds a Spanish Colonial Revival estate deep in Old Palm Springs. For the heirs to the motor company considered the American Rolls-Royce, only a grand setting would do, filled with antiques and relics unearthed by their world travels.
Consummate hostess of Palm Springs, Ruth Hardy refashions the property as her own personal club. Stays were by invitation only; dinner guests upon approval. Among her list of regulars were Clark Gable, Salvador Dali, and Elizabeth Taylor.
The Inn is purchased by Winston S. Cowgill III, a San Franciscan regular from a well-known banking family.
An enchanted Melvyn Haber purchases the property and undergoes a restoration, adding a namesake restaurant and lounge.
After the passing of Mel Haber, San Francisco-based PlumpJack Group, co-founded by Governor Gavin Newsom, undertakes a painstaking restoration and modernization.
A new heyday begins for a storied hideaway as Proper Hospitality assumes management and operation.
200 W Ramon Rd
Palm Springs, CA 92264
Front Desk: 1 (760) 325 0046
Reservations: 1 (760) 325 0046